Systems Design and Development
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) plays a critical role improving, protecting and conserving natural resources on private lands through partnerships with local and state agencies. To support NRCS’ mission goals, The Engle Group (TEG) has provided strategic IT management services to the Information Technology Division (ITD), Development Branch and Operations Branch of the NRCS.
The Engle Group collaborated with the USDA-NRCS to:
- Provide strategic IT services – analysis, design, development, deployment, support, and maintenance – for business applications and operations including mission-critical information systems
- Implement application and cross-project integration, testing and certification, production and security systems operations, and systems life cycle management
- Developed applications that enable NRCS and customers/clients to effectively conduct business transactions and support the financial requirements for grants
- Combined the traditional SDLC approach to software development, while effectively integrating SCRUM to improve business processes and incorporate security best practices within the SDLC to improve that business process
- Identified and standardized the Enterprise Architecture (EA); supported a service oriented architecture (SOA) team to identify and build common components for use across all NRCS projects; supported the Geographic Information System team in building common components for use across all NRCS projects
- Provided change management support with the set up of change management standards; reviewing USDA’s official change management and change requests processes, procedures, and system, making suggestions for implementation and usage
- Analyzed the latest tools, upgrade paths, and new methodologies for NRCS applications and business processes
- Provided all certification and accreditation (C&A) and risk assessments for web applications, testing and penetration testing, and incorporating security tasks within the USDA SDLC
- Conducted strategic testing and quality assurance for all applications before transitioning to the production phase; Quality analysis was performed on requirements along with test planning and test case development, metrics reports and test summaries, the development and implementation of a QA and defect process
- Developed, deployed, maintain, and periodically update an employee internet portal that supports all employees across the U.S.
- Instituted cross training into the TEG strategy to eliminate any “single points of failure”
- Maintained daily/weekly communications and meetings with client on all the projects to provide Performance Measurement and Metrics data
- Authored a complete security package to protect NRCS assets from security breaches for incorporation into NRCS’ SDLC
- Delivered secure code before deployment, applying innovative practices, ensuring compliance, and developing diagrams to illustrate how security runs throughout the SDLC
NRCS relies on TEG to provide application development solutions and opportunities for cost control and added value. The TEG approach focuses on effective resource management, understanding our clients’ needs and ensuring all project objectives are met.